Depression is humiliating. It turns intelligent, kind people into zombies who can’t wash a dish or change their socks. It affects the ability to think clearly, to feel anything, to ascribe value to your children, your lifelong passions, your relative good fortune. It scoops out your normal healthy ability to cope with bad days and bad news, and replaces it with an unrecognizable sludge that finds no pleasure, no delight, no point in anything outside of bed. You alienate your friends because you can’t comport yourself socially, you risk your job because you can’t concentrate, you live in moderate squalor because you have no energy to stand up, let alone take out the garbage. You become pathetic and you know it. And you have no capacity to stop the downward plunge. You have no perspective, no emotional reserves, no faith that it will get better. So you feel guilty and ashamed of your inability to deal with life like a regular human, which exacerbates the depression and the isolation. If you’ve never been depressed, thank your lucky stars and back off the folks who take a pill so they can make eye contact with the grocery store cashier. No one on earth would choose the nightmare of depression over an averagely turbulent normal life.
It’s not an incapacity to cope with day to day living in the modern world. It’s an incapacity to function. At all. If you and your loved ones have been spared, every blessing to you. If depression has taken root in you or your loved ones, every blessing to you, too. No one chooses it. No one deserves it. It runs in families, it ruins families. You cannot imagine what it takes to feign normalcy, to show up to work, to make a dentist appointment, to pay bills, to walk your dog, to return library books on time, to keep enough toilet paper on hand, when you are exerting most of your capacity on trying not to kill yourself. Depression is real. Just because you’ve never had it doesn’t make it imaginary. Compassion is also real. And a depressed person may cling desperately to it until they are out of the woods and they may remember your compassion for the rest of their lives as a force greater than their depression. Have a heart. Judge not lest ye be judged.
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS.
Depression is not a synonym for being sad or having a bad day/bad week.
It’s not a PHASE. It’s not a CHOICE. It’s not LAZINESS.
I’m beginning to understand that true recovery only begins when you internalize these truths completely.
You cannot even hope to heal unless you truly believe that depression is a disease.
This is really really important! Everyone better read it.
This is important.
Read this shit. Learn it. Remember it.
- lilithblack333 likes this
- labrinthsprincess reblogged this from lettersfromthedeadsaygoodbye
- she-wrote-the-sky reblogged this from cold-winter-days
- elisabethdivine likes this
- newstartnewsmiles reblogged this from thebirdofthornfield
- learningtolive--again reblogged this from mynameisfayeandimgay
- koolthing likes this
- haailtheleaf reblogged this from manifestfuckery
- deerfeet reblogged this from thebirdofthornfield
- stares-at-trees reblogged this from marywrestledabearonce
- foreverthesickkkest reblogged this from doctordonna10
- c0me-soaked-in-bleach reblogged this from lettersfromthedeadsaygoodbye
- marywrestledabearonce reblogged this from mynameisfayeandimgay
- lettersfromthedeadsaygoodbye reblogged this from mynameisfayeandimgay
- mynameisfayeandimgay reblogged this from manifestfuckery
- thebirdofthornfield reblogged this from emancipator
- jappsterrblog reblogged this from streetsinoslo
- audacia-et-animus likes this
- sleepingtodreeam likes this
- chititties reblogged this from lalasa
- manifestfuckery reblogged this from emancipator
- legally-speaking likes this
- guinevereulrica reblogged this from letsesc
- discardedniceness reblogged this from ashlynpie
- emancipator reblogged this from classiquehollywood
- killaustin likes this
- madeesunleigh reblogged this from spacepenguin95
- em-otions reblogged this from stop-yo-bitchin
- arobinfishason likes this
- eyeslikewild-flowers likes this
- tineeff likes this
- saltedlemon reblogged this from lalasa
- spacepenguin95 reblogged this from the-hogfather
- allmustbewell likes this
- simoes15 reblogged this from margeysimpson
- fightingdreamslivinglife reblogged this from adaytopiercethehorizonwithsirens
- fightingdreamslivinglife likes this
- alexatheawkwardone reblogged this from sianna1529
- ameliasaur reblogged this from shamelesslover
- nanaaaaaaaaaaaah likes this
- wicketwystriwarrick reblogged this from voidpitof-failure
- dirtyorange reblogged this from shamelesslover
- likeadiamondintherough reblogged this from isabelcacas
- likeadiamondintherough likes this
- b-hck reblogged this from adaytopiercethehorizonwithsirens
- chalvey reblogged this from theres-a-lying-in-your-silence